Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting solution is related to depositing and/or sharing particular web content on a web server administered by a website hosting distributor. There are various varieties of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's have a look at these. In that way, you can determine what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to have a site, mailbox accounts, or to share files with buddies and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution made available by particular hosts, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a record of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage services often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a specific period of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you have a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely twisted interpretation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allot the load between individual hosts of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending different webspace hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a variety of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain suppliers provide a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you would like to share a huge amount of pictures with comrades or associates since the solution is usually free of cost. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to managing your e-mail addresses. Some firms provide web space hosting solutions for web pages, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you want to run an email address with your domain name but do not wish to run a website, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can create mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video generates a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video clips and a few hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your web site hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to have as many video files as you would like without hassling about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to run a site. To some extent, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and e-mail address accounts, upload video clips, etc. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can view web hosting and dedicated hosting solutions that allow you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single place. There may be limits based on the form of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse compared with the conventional e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are purposed for particular content exclusively.